- (2-3 lbs.) Stewing beef (sort for "Roast/braised" or "Slow Cook" to see all your options)
- (2 tbsp.) Butter
- (1/4 cup) Flour ( I use Almond, Coconut, or Arrowroot)
- (1 Diced) Onion
- (4 Peeled and chunked) Potatoes
- (4 whole cut up) Carrots
- (4 minced) Garlic Cloves
- (2 ribs sliced) Celery
- (4 cups) Beef Broth
- (2 tbsp.) Tomato Paste
- (2) Bay Leaves
- (to taste) Salt and Pepper
Instructions if you wanna get fancy or follow recipes:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot/roasting pan on medium-high, heat the butter or olive oil.
3. Season the beef with a generous pinch of salt and pepper on all sides.
4. Transfer the beef to the pot and brown the meat on all sides. Once browned, remove from the pot, transfer to a plate, and set aside.
5. Lower heat to medium, add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add butter or a drizzle of olive oil to the pan to keep it from going dry. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
6. Return beef to the pot and stir well to combine with the onion mixture. Add flour and stir well to coat the beef. Add tomato paste and stir again.
7. Cover the beef mixture with broth (add more as needed), add bay leaves, and stir well to combine. Add in cubed potatoes and bring to a gentle boil.
8. Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven for 2.5 to 3 hours until beef is tender.
9. Remove from the oven, remove bay leaves, and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes before serving. This will help to thicken the sauce and bring the flavors together.
10. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Instructions if you cook like me:
1. Throw everything in a crockpot, turn it on High for an hour then Medium for the next three hours.
It tastes just as good.